The Olympics by Kriss Akabusi

When I was preparing the Olympic prompt I asked for quotes from Olympians, both from the past and those hoping to represent their country in the 2012 games. One who got in touch was Kriss Akabusi.

He is a former sprint and hurdling athlete from the United Kingdom. During his career, he won the gold medal in the 400 metres hurdles at the 1990 European Championships, a gold in the 4 x 400 metres relay at the 1991 World Championships, and a silver medal in the 4 x 400 m relay at the 1984 Olympic Games. Since retiring from athletics, he has worked as a television presenter and motivational speaker.

He decided to go further than just a quote and has written a piece, 100 words in length, of his feelings of being an Olympian.

Awe inspiring Pageant of human endeavor, sixty seconds, a life time of effort and expectations expressed in a moment, no second chances, deliver in the arena right here and right now, make it happen but allow you to be, trust in the flow of things in the celestial city, climb mount Olympus where the air is fresh and clean, join the fraternity a brotherhood denied to many embracing a few. Vision determined by your values, persistence, determination, discipline, dedication virtuosity, illness and injury, winning and losing, a path strewn with tears of failure and successes both imposters challenging you, how much do you want it, do you dare to dream and to follow your yearnings, enjoy the journey, dare to be you, be world class in all that you do.

Many thanks Kriss for joining in with the spirit of 100WC and thank you for the many hours of pleasure you brought to so many of us when you were competing! 

0 thoughts on “The Olympics by Kriss Akabusi

1. Hello Kriss Akabusi,

Well said!
    This is a great inspirational 100 Word piece of writing and very topical with the nearness of the London Olympics. :)

@RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

• Thanks Ross, I love words almost as much as I loved my sport and both mediums can touch people into the marrow of their soul. It’s a blessing to be a catalyst used to inspire others, to quote a biblical phrase “a vessel fit for the master’s use”

Warmest wishes

Kriss